Sunday, January 30, 2011

" When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss Art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money." Oscar Wilde

Up until 2010 for nearly 30 years I have been actively making custom furniture for a company that catered to the hospitality industry. Hotels, bars, resturants, tables, hostess stations and custom built-ins.

I was lead woodworker for more than 15 years and have taught the craft to many with much satisfaction. I've designed, sold and created many built-ins and custom kitchens on my own. It's been a productive 30 years.





In December 2009 the company I worked for ceased to exist and I became one of the many people without a job. Unlike others I was excited to write the next chapter of my life.

The last five years I have been facinated with making "one of a kind" wooden chairs mostly out of re-claimed and found woods. I call them Circa Chairs. The chairs made me realize the difference between craft and art. A crafted piece is usally made for a specific reason and place requiring exact measurements , flawless materials and is usally designed by someone else or worse a computer.

Making Art is a whole different entity. Although I use all the skills I have aquired in the making of craft, in Art there are no plans, expected outcomes, deadlines or paychecks. The absence of that rigid procedure is the dope that fuels the high and now that I've tasted what it is to make art,my destiny is more defined.



In a nutshell that's where I'm at. I have a years worth of work completed ( over 100 chairs) and am looking forward to getting them into homes.

I have alot of positive experience in collaborating with other artists and feel strength in numbers will help put art to the forefront where it belongs.


My current idea is to barter half of my chairs for other's art of equal value to enable me to soon open up a fine art gallery. Any help you good folks can give me in this endeavor will be greatly appreciated. I will be outlining this pursuit in my next blog.I believe the art community has the collective best human spirit there ever was and truly think that together artists can move the world in a much more positive direction.

Patti Roberts Pizzuto from http://missouribendpaperworks.blogspot.com has already been actively highlighting other artists on her blog. Patti sees the power of community and is setting a great example of what it's going to take for all of us to continue to create art. Thank You Patti, way to go!!

Thank you all for your continued support,
Peace,
Scott

5 comments:

  1. Scott this is awesome to read your story here (I kinda knew most of it, but it's nice to have it all in one place - with accompanying images!) and hear of your new plans. You are absolutely right, the key to all of our individual successes as artists is to open our eyes - and our inventories - and share our vast and varied resources for the greater good of putting art back into the respectable and influential position it once had. I love the idea of your bartering to build a gallery, which benefits everyone and doesn't involve handing over money - which none of us has. We all have tremendous assets, just not in the traditional sense, so it's up to us to redefine what's valuable and how, and make it work for us - and then eventually the world will wake up and join in! Best to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott!

    It gives me great joy to read about your past pursuits, and the photos of your work are breathtaking. You are on the right path now, and it's all going to pay off very soon, believe me!

    I am very excited about your new gallery, and I would love to be involved. You know where to find me!

    This is an excellent post, my friend. I think you have found your voice!

    Have a great week,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gabriella and Brian,
    Thank you both for always getting behind me with whatever idea's I come up with, your positive responses hit deep and are very meaningful to me.
    Please keep it up ,my ego needs it! :)
    To everybody else that is silently following I thank you all and I know your there....and I am very pleased!!
    Peace and Thank you all,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,

    I totally agree with what Brian and Gabriella said! You're on the right path. And to take something that most would view as a tragedy... you looked upon it as a blessing and moved forward!!! Proud to know you :)

    Your work is breathtaking and I totally admire what you do... so, whatever i can do to help with your gallery ideas let me know.. I'm in, too!

    All the best to you!!!

    Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Doug,
    Great to hear from you!! Thank you for the positive words. I'm a big fan of your work also and have much plans for you....stay tuned!
    Peace,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete