Wednesday, April 6, 2011

" I'm not a prophet or a stone age man just a mortal with potential of a superman. ".......David Bowie from the song Quicksand




Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness


" Often people attempt to live their lives backwards; they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want"......Margaret Young





A little History


In 1672 Richard Cumberland wrote that " promoting the well-being of our fellow humans is essential to the : pursuit of our own happiness"

The first and second article of the Virginia Declaration of Rights adopted unanimously by the Virginia Convention of Delegates on June 12th, 1776 and written by George Mason, is that All men are by nature equally free and independent, and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and saftey.

Thomas Jefferson agreed with this thuoght and put it in the text of the Declaration of Independence which reads:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.






So that being said, I'm not a prophet or a stone age man just a mortal with potential of a superman.
That quote from David Bowie is my favorite quote of all time. I believe it describes who I am and try to be every day. I'm one to always look forward and never behind. I try to treat people with dignity and respect, so I might get the same in return. I try to do everything to the best of my ability as much as possible..........that is not to say I have no failures, on the contrary, but I certainly try to learn from them.

I do certainly believe in Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness and believe slowly but surely I'm winning!! :)

Thank you all and Peace,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment